Jedi meditation techniques have been handed down through the ages as a way of gaining insight and wisdom in the force. There were many different meditation techniques, but most have been lost to the ravages of time. The following is the first step in the most commonly practiced method.
Like all force training, the Jedi meditation technique follows a hierarchy of steps: Control, Sense, and Alter. You must learn control of your own abilities, before you can truly sense the Force. Once you have mastered sensing the Force surrounding you, you can use the force to perform actions and alter the events and objects around you.
The basic technique teaches you to control your own mental process, and allows you to focus your thoughts on one object, thought, or goal, the object of your meditation. This object must have a clear objective or subjective reality to you, so it is easiest to begin with a physical object such as a ball or a candle. After you have mastered meditating on physical objects, you may proceed to mental objects such as mental images or goals. Make sure your mental object is clearly defined in your mind.
How To Start:
- Sit in on the floor, or on a cushion, with the spine and neck kept straight . Place your hands in your lap, palms upward.
- Relax your entire body deeply and quickly, using the Calming Breath Technique. After you are relaxed, regulate your breathing to a calm and peaceful rate.
- If you are using a physical object, focus your vision on the object, otherwise close your eyes.
- Begin to shut out distractions (noises, etc.), as you focus your attention inward. Try to keep your thoughts from wandering, shutting out stray thoughts.
Concentrate your thoughts upon the object of your meditation.
- Practice these steps until you are able to concentrate on the object without distraction. Once you have mastered these steps, you should gain a sense of that object through the Force. Stretch out with your feelings, and perceive the object.